Black activists fought for slavery exhibits 24 years ago. Under Trump, the fight returns.

Home » Black activists fought for slavery exhibits 24 years ago. Under Trump, the fight returns.
Black activists fought for slavery exhibits 24 years ago. Under Trump, the fight returns.

Coard said his organization anticipated what was in store after the executive orders Trump signed upon returning to office last year. The panels were unceremoniously taken down a few weeks ago on Jan. 22.

“The common denominator of the 13 was that they highlighted the horror of slavery,” Coard said of the panels. “Not just what we all know — a loss of freedom — but the beatings, the whippings, the rapes, the sodomy.”

A spokesperson for the Interior Department, which oversees the park service, said “all federal agencies are to review interpretive materials to ensure accuracy, honesty, and alignment with shared national values.” White House spokesman Davis Ingle said Trump “is ensuring that we are honoring the fullness of the American story instead of distorting it in the name of left-wing ideology.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.